Recent Comments

Friday 14 May 2021

The Life Of A Journalist Is Unpredictable- AAUA Mass Comm President

Adesola Ikulajolu
Called a storyteller by many, Adesola Ikulajolu is the President of the Department of Mass Communication Departments, Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko, and an award-winning campus journalist.

As he sat In his blue-painted room, with books all around, and awards hung on the wall, he spoke to our correspondent, Friday Omosola about his journey into journalism, ambitions, and beliefs.

How did you develop an interest in Journalism?

My interest in journalism started and grew as far back as 2014, but before that, my secondary days have been filled with debate, writing, and speaking. So that spurred me into loving what could help the people and serve as a voice to them.

I had loved reading newspaper from childhood, especially Punch, it was the 'Efe and Jude' cartoon that caught my interest me before I started reading other news and opinions. From then, I knew I was going into journalism.

Who are your mentors in the profession? 

I can't say I have a direct mentor, but I have senior journalists that I learn from. Even my colleagues on the field, I learn from them. 

Mr. Lekan  Otufodunrin, former Managing Editor of The Nation now Director of Media Career Services plays a major role in my growth, Mrs. Ajibola Abisola of Premium Times Center for Investigative Journalism (PTCIJ) also plays a good role in my development. Some of my lecturers back in the polytechnic also served as a great input in my growth on the journey.

What was your International debut?

Talking about international debut, the first time I wrote for an international magazine was in 2016. I was writing for Paretingplus in Florida. It was majorly of children and parenting issues. 

In 2019, BBC reached out to me during the period several issues were happening in Akungba-Akoko, and I was providing them with information.

How many awards have you won?

Do I really have counts? Well, my journalism awards are about five while I have other awards and certificates close to 25 (all from my Secondary school till now). 

I won the PALEC's  Best  Campus  Journalist in 2019, won the AAUA's Best Campus Journalist in 2019, won Youthdigest's Best Campus Editor in 2020, and others.

What were the happiest and toughest times of your career?

My happiest moment in the field of journalism is anytime I have the opportunity to write and deliver good contents

The life of a journalist is not predictable- Happy now, sad the next moment. However, I feel happy when my contents get published by reputable media organizations,  and when people contact me to help with anything in journalism.

The toughest times of the career were days I had to do stories with resources that I didn't have. I wrote some of my most beautiful stories with a very bad phone (broken screen, shaking keypad, poor battery). Those periods were tough because I had no laptop or good phones, but then, I had to deliver good stories.

What are your future career goals?

 My future career goal is to become a reputable journalist of international standards and reach the peak of my career.

Who are your favourite footballers? What is your favorite club?

While growing up, I loved Ronaldinho and Kaka. They were good players and I support Chelsea even though I'm not a full-time fan but I loved them from the beginning.

What are your educational qualifications?

I have a National Diploma in Mass Communication with Upper Credit. I'm currently studying for my Bachelor of Science in Mass Communication in AAUA after which I intend to further.

Which schools are your Alma mater?

CMS School, Atijere from when I was born till 2005, Biso Cradle Nursery and Primary School, Akure in 2005 to 2006. Life Nursery and Primary, Ile-Ife from 2006 to 2007. I proceeded to Ijapo High School from 2007 to 2010. 

For my Senior Class, I attended Distinct Medal College, Lagos from 2010 to 2011 for my ss1. Then I went to Assfood International College, Ketu from 2012 to 2013 where I graduated as Best Graduating Student. 

I was admitted into Abraham Adesanya Polytechnic, Ijebu-Igbo for my National Diploma from 2014 to 2015 and I proceeded to Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko for my BSc in 2017.

When did you become born again?

I became born again at a tender age. I was born into a Christian home and I have followed Christ since then. But I fully encountered God when I was in SS Class around 2012.

How did it happen?

I stayed with God for so long but I experienced him more when I was in the secondary school hostel. We had Deeper Life Pastor coming to preach to us and that was how I became more closer to God.

What is your philosophy?

 I believe in the win-win philosophy that we all should win without anyone having to be sad. I believe so much in equality and equity.

What do you consider your strengths and weaknesses?

My strength lies in my ability to work with anyone and anytime. My humble nature is also a plus but God is my greatest strength and my weakness is not having the capacity to help others when they need it is my big greatest weakness. Also, working with people with no interest, as well as idleness; I hate them.

What are your hobbies? What is your favourite food?

 My hobbies are writing, speaking, playing drums, singing, and volunteering.

My favourite food is pounded yam and vegetables or a blend of pupuru and marugbo. 

What is your relationship status?

My relationship status is always out of the public but there is a passionate lady who is a God's gift and answer.

Beyond journalism, what are your ambitions?

Beyond Journalism, I love the military or force. Anything that places me in a situation where I can always help people. Volunteering and Music are also my focus.

What is your most cherished  experience?

 One of my most cherished experiences is anytime I get the opportunity to showcase my intelligence and passion. Also, times when I had to serve humanity. 

What advice do you hav for aspiring journalists?

I will advise aspiring journalists to start early. They should have a focus on why they chose journalism. It is not a profession for those who play, it is for serious-minded people because it is deep. Be passionate.

Share:

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Definition List

Unordered List

Support