Recent Comments

Monday 1 May 2023

AAUASU Election: Vice-President Aspirant Vows To Improve Safety and Security of Students


Prior to the forthcoming 2022/2023 AAUASU Election slated for May 4th, the Vice-President Aspirant, Rotimi Temitope Roseline, politically known as Temmirose, has revealed plans for the students if emerged winner.

In this interview with BOLUWATIFE ADEDOKUN, Temmirose expressed a strong commitment to the improvement of safety and security of students living in the hostel and outside.

Please, give a brief introduction about yourself?

I’m Rotimi Temitope Roseline, a 300 level student of Educational Management, from the Faculty of Education.

I am the Assistant General Secretary of National Association of Idanre Student (NAIS) AAUA — the candidate vying for the position of the AAUA Student Union Vice-President. I'm also a member of Food Bank Lagos State.

Tell us about your educational background?

I had my elementary education at Community Primary School Magodo, Lagos State Nigeria where I was the class Assistant Representative for four [4] years as well as the Health Prefect for the 2011/2012 set.

My junior secondary school education was at Ikosi Senior High School, Ketu in Lagos, where I served as Library Prefect for 3 years. I was the Assistant Class Representative in SSS2 and the Assembly Prefect in SSS3, then, a member of the Readers Club.

Have you ever held any leadership position before, if yes, what was the position?

Yes, I have served and still serving as the Assistant General secretary of National Association of Idanre (NAIS) and one of the class coordinator of 'SHE CAN NIGERIA' (an organization that teaches
the youth on skills acquisition).

How have those positions prepared you for the post of number 2 citizen of AAUASU?

During the process of 'SHE CAN' which lasted for six months, I learnt some basic facts about leadership —knowing that as a leader I need to carry everybody along and understand that every individual is not on the same physiologically, hence the need to relate to people accordingly.

Leadership is not being in position but you are a leader based on the character and sacrifices you made for the people you are serving.

What propelled you to contest for the post of AAUASU Vice-President?

Right from secondary school, I have always believed in serving the people and help them look for solutions to problems 
and currently in Nigeria, your opinion won’t be valid without being in a position of authority.

So I can say it's my passion for humanitarian services that propelled me to contest as the Vice-President of the Student Union.

Do you think you can deliver this mandate and what are your plans for the Union if you emerge?

The mandate is delivered already, the question should not be if I emerge, it shouldn't be when I emerge because I will emerge.

When I emerge, I will work more on the security of the school. A lot of students in Hostel and outside are complaining about insecurity and school environment should be the safest place — be free from theft and other social vices.

I will call a public gathering where I'll seek opinions from the comrades in the hostel and off-campus about the problem they are facing and set up a follow up committee to tackle the problem. 

I will also organize tutorials not the one based on General Studies (GST) and Entrepreneurship (ENT) alone, but carrying other Vice-Presidents along. Both departmental and faculty courses will not be left out.  

Can you mention some of your achievements, and also relate how your experience will shape the Students Union?

I remember vividly last year when we were asked to pay some fees in my department which the reason wasn’t accountable for. I stood my ground with other comrades and we agitated, which was settled in the process.

I learnt the way to bargain with the management without destruction, understanding that there will always be issues in the union to agitate for, I can cope with any form of struggle.

Leadership position is not new to you, but how do you intend to lead if elected in the midst of people with diversified opinions?

Firstly, you have to understand the fact that you can’t have the same opinion as everyone. I have to understand the people I'm ruling and the Union together. I am very sure the screening has been done and those that are contesting for other posts are people with high sense of intelligence.

I have had an intellectual conversation with about 60% of the aspirants, but in case it’s changed when we get into power, I will definitely cross the bridge 

As a lady how do you see the position of authority?

According to my dictionary, the definition of authority is the power to give order and enforce obedience, and I think there shouldn't be bias in the aspect of gender equality

I see authority the same way everyone sees it, but in my philosophy, I believes authority should not be misused but utilized.

As the Vice-President, how do you intend to work with the president?

My constitutional duty according to section 25 chapter 12 of AAUASU Constitution stated that the Vice-President should assist the president in the day to day activities of the Union. I don’t think that being a lady will be a but to me performing my duties.

It is widely believed that Vice-President are often dormant and not active, how can you ensure activeness in your tenure?

My office is concerned mainly with academics matters of the Union and being an assistant to the President. I Temmierose when emerge, I will work directly with the President to make my office useful. Using the out-going Vice-President as an example, she works with the President directly and we can all see the impact and relevance of her office. Thanks

How are you going to ensure you contribute more to the administration?

I will organize intellectual programs and seminars, such as skills acquisition and setting bodies for follow-up, leaving an impact in the life of the students. 

Can you tell us how you are going to ensure the relationship of students with management, and the indigenes of Akungba?

The student Union is the intermediary between the students and Management and I am a student before becoming the Vice-President and I understand standing my ground and making agitation for the student. 

I believe it’s a Union filled of 10 position and Union members. It’s not my personal duties. I will therefore act and work with the President and there is constitution relating to this process. I will follow the constitution

All right reserved: No part of the content may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the copyright owner.

Unauthorized use, reproduction, distribution, or transmission of any part of this website or its content is strictly prohibited and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties under applicable laws.

For permission to use any copyrighted material from this website, please contact ECHO MEDIA.

Share:

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Definition List

Unordered List

Support