Recent Comments

Saturday 22 February 2020

"Students' Unionism in AAUA Is Not A Child's Play" - Folacare




The former Students' Union Government President of Adekunle Ajasin University, Folakemi Adaramola recently had an exclusive interview with Roland Bayode and Clarion Olusegun. She talked about her personal life, revealed her eachievement in office and many more.

 Can you tell us your background?

I grew up in Lagos, Iyana paja to be precise. I attended primary school in Kusholu area of  Iyana Ipaja. My secondary school was Government Senior College, Agege, Iyana Ipaja.

How were you able to win  2018/2019 SUG election?

When I was a 100 level student, I never had the thought of aspiring for any position in this institution. But, when I got to 200 level, my friend persuaded me to go for the post of my department's vice-president, because of my boldness and smartness. At first, I declined but I later succumbed to the pressure. Fortunately, I contested and emerged. All of these happened in 200 level second semester. In 300 level, I emerged as the Vice-President of the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences.

When I decided to vie for the post of the SUG Vice-President, I started meeting with the past leaders, who advised me to create good relationships with students.

I did as instructed, and to God be the glory I emerged as the Vice-President of the 2018/2019 Students' Union Government.

What actually motivated you to vie for political positions at different points in time?

My passion was education; I don't take it with levity. After persuasion from friends, I had to get my department's constitution to read on the duties of the vice-president. It was after doing that, I realized the position was related to academic welfare; which is what I love. I resolved to contesting for the position because I knew the office would give me the capacity to help people.

In summary, I contested for the post of the vice-president because of my passion for education, not because of my friends' persuasion.

During your campaign was there any event that could be termed 'memorable'?

Yes. While I was contesting and election was a few months away, a guy saw me at the big gate and said to me " You cannot emerge, winners are always from my faculty. How do you want to do it? You cannot emerge, I heard you have been campaigning and all that, but you cannot emerge. You know sciences have technology at hand and know how to control it. Don't just disturb yourself, it's better for you to step down."

I felt bad on that day and started thinking. However, I had to put myself together, and believe that with God all things are possible. I chose not to dwell on what he said.

What was your reaction when you emerged as the VP?

I was very glad when I emerged. I thought of seeing the guy and telling him that " You said I will not emerge and have emerged, what can you do? Will you take your position back? God is on my side o, and I eventually emerged."

How will you rate yourself as a vice-president?

The point is that I can't castigate my predecessors, they tried their best. It's only when you are not in that position that you blame those that are there. If you are not in their shoes, you talk anyhow.

Students' unionism in AAUA is not a child's play. You can't just go there and just do whatever things you want to do. I could remember when I asked my predecessor why she didn't do anything apart from tutorials. She told me she was willing to do somethings but there was lack of fund. However, when the fund came in, it was late, and she couldn't do anything.

Now to my own tenure, I had a lot of programs in my mind, but I was able to achieve just two, because there was no adequate fund. But, I can still say it categorically today that, I did much better than my predecessor because she never did anything academic aside from tutorials.

I did an academic program for all AAUAites, that was the inter-faculty quiz and debate competition. Tutorials were also organized. Although, I had plans to do other things but there was lack of fund and sponsors.

I also visited the GST and ENT lecture theaters and units regularly to lodge complaints. But, these were selfless services that cannot be counted as achievements.

I couldn't just do something that won't make much sense at the end of the day. I wanted to do things that I would pen down somewhere, and urge the present administration to start from where I stopped.

How do you think the present administration can tackle the problem of low funding?

I mentioned earlier that my predecessor and I faced the issue of inadequate funds. However, I was able to weather the storm, because I wanted to do something. In all sincerity, getting finance for the event was not easy.

Above all odds, I didn't look at if money was available or not. I was just focused on doing something.

I just hope the present Students' Union Vice-President will be able to achieve more than what I achieved. Although, it is not easy.

What was the best reward you got from students or anyone while in office?

My best reward for service was gotten during the inter-faculty quiz and debate competition. One of our students, who is a comedian, that day climbed the podium and said " I know Folacare very well, and I have never thought she could do something like this. I have not heard about something like this in the history of AAUA. You deserve some accolades for doing this." That comment made my day.

What advice do you give to potential female aspirants, since politics?

A scholar said politics is everywhere; even in the human mind, he practices politics.

Politics is not something we should say a male should have a larger rate of participation while females should step back. In politics, there should be equal representation.

In the world we find ourselves here in AAUASU,  it is the other way round. Thus, I will advise females with political ambitions not to limit themselves to aspiring for the position of the vice- president. In 2013/2014 administration, the General Secretary, Omolola olola, was a female.

I will also beseech them to do what is right and just. Because when they leave, it's what we did while in office that will speak for them.

As a female, most people believe that you must get involved in some dirty games to practice politics. It is mostly said that it is not what you know, but who you know. Did you engage in such?

This question is an issue I want to address among females that are aspiring for posts; departmental, faculty and SUG levels.

Whenever aspirants meet me and declare their ambitions, I advise them never to engage in filthy things that will tarnish their images. This is because if you do it or not, they will say it. Just don't let us do it, so as not to put yourself into what you keep.
feeling sad about whenever you remember.

You have just a few months to spend in office. We call it a selfless service, why do you have to engage in dirty things before you attain that position?

How much were you able to cooperate with other executives?

I worked hand-in-hand with other executives. Before I did anything, I informed and carried them along. I related with the President the same way I related with the Financial Secretary and others.

Do you have any mentor?

Yes. My dad is my mentor.

Can you tell us about him?

My dad is a civil servant. He is a person that cherishes guidance and doesn't want any mistake to occur. If anything wants to occur, he is my 2nd consultant, after God. Even before I declared my ambition to contest for any post, I told him, and he said we should pray first. Thereafter, he told me to go on, that God was at work and I would definitely emerge.

Do you have any life-changing experience that actually changed?

Yes. Before I gained admission, I was at home for 3 years. I became tired, and I had to start attending vigils and changing my orientations about what have been doing earlier.

There was a particular day I went for a vigil and we were told to tell everyone goals that we had been pursuing. On this day, I told everyone that I had been seeking admission for the past years and needed everyone to pray for me. I promised that if God did it, I was going to come back to testify to the glory of God. Interestingly,  It was that same year I gained admission. I can never forget that day.

Share:

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Definition List

Unordered List

Support