Recent Comments

Wednesday 26 February 2020

Alumni Tales: I Made A 5.0 GPA In 400 Level- Toluwanimi Thompson


Toluwanimi Thompson is a graduate of the Department of Political Science and Public Administration from Adekunle Ajasin University. In this interview with Toluwalope Adebayo, she talks about life during and after school.




How will you describe your journey through the university?
My journey in the university was a great one; I had good, bad and ugly times.  There were moments when I felt I was studying the wrong course. This was because I really wanted to study Mass Communication, but I was admitted to study Political Science. However, that didn’t stop me.

In all, the university was a whole lot for me, because I learnt so many things within the four walls of the university. I had amazing friends and relationships. It was basically growing and learning through life.

Kindly talk about you low and high moments as an undergraduate 
My highest moment in school was my final year. I have always enjoyed the final era of whatever I embark on, and I am grateful my 400 level wasn’t an exception. It was the high point of my stay in the university academically, spiritually, emotionally.
It was in my final year I made a 5.0 GPA; in the first semester, I made a 4.8 GPA, and in the second semester, I made a 5.0.

Spiritually, I got to know God in a better way and got more spiritually aware. Emotionally, I was in the best relationship of my life at the time. That year was basically filled with sweet memories for me.

Talking about my low point, in my 200 and 300, I had amazing roommates (for lack of a better word) that showed me tough times. Also, academically, my 200 level wasn’t the best of all.

What was your most memorable moment as a student?
My most memorable moment was when I failed a course in my 200 level. As an understanding student and noticeable character in the class, it was a big blow to me and surprising to my classmates. That period was a trying one for me. I was just crying, and couldn’t even imagine myself retaking a course.

By default, I went to the lecturer’s office to know what the problem was, and thankfully the issue got rectified, and I was given my original grade.

How were you able to overcome academic challenges?
Basically, I was able to do that through determination and the willingness to pay the price. Nothing good comes without a price. You have the pay the price, make sacrifices; not necessarily in the biggest thing.

Also, I was less distracted by social media. The internet at Akungba was bad, so it didn’t afford me the opportunity to waste so much time online. I was able to invest my free time into reading.

Can you describe what life as an graduate is?
Life as a graduate is not what people actually think it is. It is totally different from what we think. I would not be able to define what life really is for everybody because life is relative; one's experience is different from someone else’.

Being a graduate involves a process of
growth and learning. In the past few years, I had become more self-aware and realized my growth, weaknesses, strength, and who I really am. I thought I knew myself, not until somethings happened to me. Life will definitely happen to you whether you like it or not.

What advice do you have for undergraduates and people who want to get to university?
First of all, as an undergraduate,  I will advise you to know what you want out of life, be determined, and let your heart be opened to learning. Note that it is important you read a lot. This is because when you graduate, a lot of things are going to be happening to you at the same time.

I feel like being in the university is that time of your life when you have the full capacity to control your time. The moment you graduate and get a job, your employer dictates what time you should be at work and what time you shouldn’t be at work.

Also, I feel this is the time for you to build yourself and your capacity. Expose yourself to the right people, read the right information. Relationships can never be overrated. You need to network as much as you can, because you don’t know who will be of help to you in the future. Don’t leave a bad painting in anybody’s picture. When issues happen, work towards resolving them and building fantastic relationships with people.

Lastly, it is very important you get serious with your studies. I know we are in an age where you don’t necessarily have to go to school to succeed. But I am sorry to burst your bubble, your degree is very important. If it is not important to you, it is to your parents or sponsors.
Share:

1 replies:

  1. Wow! This is such a great read... Thank you so much for the opportunity!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Definition List

Unordered List

Support