Recent Comments

Saturday 6 November 2021

JAMB Changed My Course, But not My Dream




Isioma Osadebe 


AAUA Sociology Student Who Wanted Mass Mass Communication Narrate the untold...

Most students in Nigeria are often faced with the issue of having a dream course they would like to study in the university but the joint admissions and matriculation board (jamb) has always been there to draw their career board for them. 

In some cases, it's more like JAMB is right enough to set them in the right places, but for another set of people, the JAMB list has killed the dream and passion in them off. 

Consequently, the majority of the students in this boat tend to give up and just study anything given to them while lesser few people regardless of JAMB decision, still follow their heart by chasing hard to pursue their dream course.
In this exclusive interview, AAUA Sociology student, Fatimah Idera narrates the JAMB experience of how she was given another course to study at the university when she already had a passion for another course. 

Did she obey the JAMB call by following what was given to her or she follows the pursuit of her dream course?

The following interview section provides it all as...

Kindly give a brief introduction of yourself?

Fatimah idea is my name, from the department of sociology, Adekunle Ajasin University, a 200level student who particularly aspire for mass communication, but was given another course. A lover of growth generally, and a lover of God.

What is your dream course?

My dream course was to study mass communication at the university. It has always been my dream course right from secondary school when I fell in love with literature particularly novels. So I read many books about past journalists and some novella biography's which gave me inspiration for writings and being a journalist. So I decided to pursue my dream.

What is your course of study now?

My course of study is sociology; which is stylishly correlating with journalism but not writings, sociology is a good course too but wasn’t my dream course of study.

What do you intend to achieve with your dream course?

I intend to become a writer, journalist, reporter, or newscaster.

Do you still intend to get a degree in your dream course?

Yes, I intend to get a degree on my Dream course but disappointedly schooling in Adekunle Ajasin University (AAUA) has made me hate schooling further in Nigerian, but if am chance to school outside the country I will be glad to do so.

Do you find your recent course of study interesting?

I never found sociology interesting cos it wasn’t what I wanted to study at the university, but as we have it jamb change the course I wanted to study at the university, and the lecturers are not even making it an interesting course for me to study. Especially trying to cope with a given course you never like.

In trying to pursue your dream course and also trying to have good grades in your course of study, what have been your challenges?

In trying to pursue my dream course and having good grades in the course given to me, I think my main challenge is how to make good grades in my course of study cause I am trying to like the course to make good grades which I don’t even like the course. 

Also making good grades in my course of study aren’t that easy. Cause I see myself studying my dream course instead of what jamb gave me. It’s hard focusing on the course I am given to study here at the university. Because every time my mind keeps wandering to that course I chose, that I desire and it’s not given to me. 

Each time my mind wanders it keeps hurting me I can’t get to study what my heart truly desires. It’s challenging, cause honestly I still attend a few meetings involving media. I joined a group of recent it’s called (Echo media). Echo media it’s a platform that helps people who want to be better in writing and become professional journalism in the future. 

The media has helped me in my writing, and also other parts I want to work on since I can’t study mass communication, I will as well join the media. But the challenge here is that it’s not easy combining the two, attending the meetings and still going for classes, trying to meet up with deadlines of submitting stories and also assignments. But I have no single regret at all. If you want something, it’s best you better go for it.

How were you able to strike a balance between your course of study and chasing your dream?  

Honestly, It’s not easy at all, trying to strike a balance between the two. It takes one who is determined to not lose focus and forget about the dream he/she is chasing and not just settle for less. But I’m strong-willed and determined that no matter what I won’t give up. With the help of God, time management, and nonlaziness as a student, I was able to balance the two. Anyone that knows the dream he/she is chasing would not give up and know how to figure things out.

Do you have a mentor in journalism? 

Yes, I have mentors in journalism first my uncle, Dele Giwa, peter Ojo Emmanuel, and Aishat Adebimpe.

What is your advice to people that also find themselves in your kind of situation?

My advice to them is simply that they should not be discouraged, they should grow the right attitude towards their given course.
And in the Process of studying the given course, they should try and join a reputable organization where they can both learn and actively practice their dream course.

When you show courage in the face of adversity, you change your life and others.
The most provocative people in the world are the ones who won't settle for average and have triumphed through adversity. We are most inspired by people who have experienced difficulty and never, ever give up.

Boldly go in the direction of your dreams.
Stand tall and show the world what you are made of. When the world beats you down, find a reason to get back up again. Never give up on the success. Try, try, try and try again. Feed your mind ideas of success, not failure.
Share:

2 replies:

  1. Weldone my baby girl the sky is your starting ponint..I’m proud of you this article is a great one ������������

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done sweetheart more power to your elbow

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Definition List

Unordered List

Support