Recent Comments

Tuesday 14 September 2021

My Last Ride as a Female Editor in AAUA- Toluwalope Adebayo

The common assertion of what a man can do, a woman can do better has been rightly proven by the immediate past Echo Media female Editor-in-Chief, Toluwalope Adebayo. 

In this exclusive interview, Echo Media Reporter; Emmanuel Oluwadola hosted the boss, the second female Editor-in-Chief of Echo media in history, Tolulope Adebayo as she narrates the untold adventure of what it is for her as a lady to hold the position of campus editor in chief. 

Kindly give a brief introduction of yourself?

Toluwalope Adebayo is my name, graduating student of Mass Communication, Adekunle Ajasin University, immediate Editor-in-Chief of Echo Media. A journalist by profession, an entrepreneur, a lover of growth generally, and a lover of God.

As the second female Editor-in-Chief of Echo Media, tell us about your experience.

It was a beautiful one for me. First of all, coming out of your comfort zone to lead people, is not an easy thing, knowing that people's growth is dependent on you. Training yourself because you obviously cannot give what you do not have.

It came with its challenges but knowing that what you are putting out there can change the world and influence people's perception of things. Doing research and being up to date with information, I must say it was a beautiful experience.

 What were the challenges you faced as a female campus editor?

The major challenge is getting people to work. My kind of personality is that, I do not know how to persuade people to work, so basically to get people doing assignments, deliver and give the value they want is quite challenging. But I am glad I was able to overcome it because I had a system that was ready to work for me and the media outfit. 

 What motivates you whenever you feel discouraged?

When a story breaks or while something important happens, no matter how discouraged you are, you would know people are expecting the story gets posted or published. So, the fact that people have expectations of me as an editor is one of the biggest motivations. Also, knowing that whatsoever I am doing is helping me become a better version of myself is another motivation.

How were you able to strike a balance between the editorial works and your academics on campus?

Coming up with a plan for the day and knowing which story is important at a time helped me. Some stories might not have to be edited immediately after you received them, so I set my priorities right.

I did not allow any of it suffered, I placed priority on my education because I am in school for my academics, but at the same time, I did not treat the editorial work with levity. When it comes to breaking news, I quickly published them when I am not in class, cutting distractions and trying to avoid procrastination.

Who do you consider as your role model in campus Journalism?

My immediate Supervising Editor of Echo Media, Adesola Ikulajolu, is one person I considered a role model in campus Journalism. He is someone I know who does what he says. He is worth the talk. That is the one person I can star as a role model.

 Being your first time as an editor, what are the opportunities that were opened to you?

Being an Editor-in-Chief of Echo Media came with people's recognition and it came with some opportunities in the industry as well. It brings me closer to several people I probably would not have built a relationship with if I was not the editor.

 What is your advice to the Campus Reporters and Editors? 

Upcoming editors and reporters should know the reason they are into campus Journalism. This will keep motivating them whenever they are discouraged along the way. 

"The need for consistency is a paramount tool in achieving success, not only for a journalist but to every serious individual that aims for the gold." Be consistent at what you do, there are times you get tired or make mistakes, that is not the end of it, keep moving. Follow trends on campus Journalism, try as much as possible to utilize every single opportunity surrounding you. 

Editors should be open to learning, they should also have a mastery of the English Language. 
"Your reporters can afford to make mistakes, but as an editor, most likely you are expected to see it all and clear possibly every mistake." Read and read, have good leadership skills, and make sure you carry people along with what you do.

Beyond every doubt, this firebrand journalist has set an unforgettable imprint for herself, family, school, and majorly, it serves as a clear message to the female folks that their life is beyond the kitchen and if anything at all should change, the mentality that females are sex objects should be completely erased. 



Share:

0 replies:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Definition List

Unordered List

Support